Sunday, September 22, 2013

Are you a friend of Jesus?


Would Jesus call you a friend?

I have heard it said that we draw a circle around ourselves and place within that circle those who we would die for. Jesus told us:

Greater love has no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.

(John 15:13)

          Some of us have many circles. I have had many - as a sailor, soldier, cop, son, husband, father, and a friend. Now I have only one - as a follower of Jesus - the most important circle of all. My friends in Jesus are being killed in far too many places these days and it is heart breaking to be able to do so little; but, I have not, as yet, been called to personally defend my suffering friends. What I have been called to do is to speak to another suffering group. A group who may not even be aware of their suffering. I speak to those who have been falsely led to believe that they can be a follower of Jesus without being obedient. Jesus, immediately after His comment above, said:

You are my friends, if you do what I command you.

(John 15:14)

          Please, take serious note of the “if”. Jesus makes it quite clear that those who do not obey Him are not His friends. His words, not mine.

          Jesus asks all to join His circle. He wants you as a friend and more - as a part of His family; but both must obey:

For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

(Mark 3:35)

Jesus died so that all could have life; but, only those that obey will have life:

For many are called, but few chosen.

(Matthew 22:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment