Friday, January 11, 2013

Are You Buffering?


To paraphrase - the spirit is willing; but, the flesh is weak: Depending on the Bible you use, ready or willing as the case may be, for Matthew 26:41 and Mark 14:38. Most folks take this to apply to their own ability to abstain from the things they like to do, but they know are wrong. There’s no doubt that is a viable application of the saying, what I call it's First Principle; but, there is another application too - one vital for all Christians.

Too many Christians act as if they are a slow internet connection - they spend more time buffering than being productive. I myself was guilty of this for far too long. For myself, I think the problem was fourfold. First, I didn’t think I was “good enough”. Second, I didn’t have enough self-confidence in my ability as a witness. Third, I didn’t think I had enough knowledge or wisdom. Finally, fourth, I didn’t realize how important it was – not just for others, but for me, too.

The first issue: I finally realized two things. One was that I would never be “good enough”; I also finally understood that Christ is good enough to use even a poor sinner like me.

The second issue: I didn’t need confidence in myself – only confidence in His spirit within me.

The third issue: if you want to get more knowledge you have to do more than just read – you have to study. To gain wisdom you have to apply and test what you think you have learned. This is just a matter of time and effort – and prayer.

The fourth issue: as to others - modern Christian persecution is not just real, and it’s not just on the rise, it’s becoming a worldwide conflagration. We all need to stay abreast of what is going on. As for me, the more I do for God, the better I become able to defeat the urges of the flesh. I grow stronger and more determined every day. My walk in life has more purpose than ever before.

If you are still buffering it’s time to upgrade!

No comments:

Post a Comment