Monday, December 24, 2012

When Jesus was Born

         Much of what is in the Gospels is repeated. That’s why we have the term Synoptic Gospels – Matthew, Mark, and Luke share a lot of similarity. There are, however, few events that are mentioned in all four Gospels – the Synoptic Gospels and the Gospel of John. Holding that thought in mind consider what might be so important that it is mentioned in all four gospels. What is really so important that they all mention it.
I am not a Bible “scholar” so if anyone finds I missed something feel free to bring it to my attention so I can address it. Now, concerning the items in all four gospels, and the timing of this article, I’ll start by pointing out it’s not when Jesus was born. It’s not even one of His miracles or one of His sermons, or one of His parables. Only two items come readily to my mind. One is the crucifixion of Jesus. The importance of which is obvious to any Christian. The second is when the Holy Spirit descended upon Him - Matthew 3:16, Mark 1:10, Luke 3:22, and John 1:32.
Perhaps it’s just me but I find it strange that His “birthday” is celebrated but not when the Holy Spirit descended on Him. He didn’t begin His ministry – the Gospel – until after this. Well, some would say that we don’t know when that was. True, but we don’t know His birthdate either- and His birthdate is celebrated after the manner of a pagan rite. I guess the dove didn’t descend near enough to a pagan holiday to be corrupted.
It’s probably a good thing we don’t know when; but, it’s kind of sad that so few see or remember the significance of an event so important that it is in all four Gospels. For fellow Christians, can you remember the awesome feeling you felt when you were baptized? Can you imagine how it must have felt to Jesus the man? The Holy Spirit descending upon Him and God’s voice coming from the heavens proclaiming, “This is My Son”.
I leave it to each reader to discover why this event was so important that it is mentioned in all four Gospels.

No comments:

Post a Comment